My weight loss

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day one

Today I start my diet. I'm not completely sure what direction I'm going to take on this blog, but I think I'm just going to write about my journey - my triumphs and my struggles. It may be boring to you or it may be inspiring, I don't know. I'm writing it for me, but I'm willing to share it with others just in case it might help someone else.

I will be following the weight watchers plan. At my height/weight/age I get 31 points right now. It kind of sounds like a lot, but I guess we'll see about that. My reason for wanting to lose weight is my health. Plain and simple. Sure, I would like to LOOK better and FEEL better and be SEXY, but none of that has pushed me hard enough to do anything about it in the last 10 years. But last year I was diagnosed with diabetes and borderline high blood pressure. I don't want to die young. I don't want to have a heart attack. I am ready to take action and make myself healthy. I know it's not going to be easy, but I look forward to the end result. My overall goal is 70 pounds. My short term goal is 25 pounds by April 1st. That's 13 weeks @ almost 2 pounds per week. I can do that. I SO can do that!

I am kickstarting my plan with a Detox & Cleanse by Jillian Michaels. I don't plan to start working out this week. I think I'll start that next week, after the cleanse is finished and I've become accustomed to the points system. I don't want to do too much at once and end up quitting.

So, how has Day 1 gone? Pretty good I guess. I'm hungry though. I had a cereal bar for breakfast, an apple for a mid-morning snack, and we had lunch at Applebee's. I had shrimp with rice and a spinach salad that was 8 points total. It was good, but I REALLY wanted one of Charles' mozzarella sticks. They didn't have the nutrtional value available, so I didn't have one. After getting home and looking it up, it looks like I could have had ONE cheese stick for 2 points. I totally could have done that. I'll know for next time. It's all about moderation. In general, I can eat a lot of cheese sticks. lol I'm making a meal from the weight watchers cookbook for dinner. It's 'chicken thighs with spinach and mushrooms' and sounds really good, and at only 6 points per serving, I think I'll have 2 servings. :)

So, here I go! Feel free to follow me on this blog if you want. I don't know how often I'll post, maybe every day, maybe once a week. I'll see how it goes. Feel free to comment and let me know what you want to hear about - more recipes? less whining? more detailed point information? more whining? more 'feelings'? I'd love to hear your feedback.

I'm off to cook dinner now. And I think I'll have enough points left for a fun size Snickers bar for dessert.

3 comments:

  1. I am following you Kathy! I have similar weight loss goals. I am concentrating on portion sizes and incorporating exercise first. That is a huge hurdle for me so I am starting there. I officially started Monday because I didn't want to wait. I will follow and encourage and support you for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this blog is a great idea. I'm glad you're taking back your health. I love the Jillian Michaels dvd's. IT was through her motivation that I lost 55lbs last year. I'm not sure I know much about Weight Watchers and the point system. I'd love to read more about what counts as what and what you can and can't eat or just basically how it all works.
    GO FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Kathy! I'm a blog-reading addict, so keep 'em coming...and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete